Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wednesday: Poetry Class

Poetry is what gets lost in translation. ~Robert Frost

Since I am in poetry class I am learning quickly of poems that I have never heard about. Poetry was something that was always interested me since high school. It has kept my interest in some way since then. Some of my classmates are really good and I envy how natural it seems for them to write. Too bad that I can't share their poetry because who knows if they ever get published. But I can share some poems that I have read in class. Right now we are working on poems that are monologues. So here are some that I like.

These poems are from a book called, "In the Palm of Your Hand" by Kowit

Gretel
said she didn't know anything about ovens
so the witch crawled in to show her
and Bam! went the big door.

Then she strolled out to the shed where
her brother was fattening, knocked down
a wall and lifted him high in the air.

Not long after the adventure in the forest
Gretal married so she could live happily.
Her husband was soft as Hansel. Her
husband liked to eat. He liked to see
her in the oven with the pies and cakes.

Ever after was the size of a kitchen.
Gretal remembered when times were better.
She laughed out loud when the witch
popped like a weenie.

"Gretal! Stop fooling around and fix
my dinner."

"There's something wrong with this oven,"
she says, her eyes bright as a treasure.
"Can you come here for a minute?"
-Ronald Koertge

Flames
Smokey the Bear heads
into the autumn woods
with a red can of gasoline
and a box of matches.

His hat is cocked
at a disturbing angle.

The moonlight catches the teeth
of his smile.
His paws, the size of catcher's mitts,
crackle into the distance.

He is sick of dispensing
warnings to the careless,
the half-wit camper
the dumbbell hiker.

He is going to show them
how professional does it.

No one runs after him
with the famous lecture.
-Billy Collins


My goal to you is choose a character that you have grown up with and write a monologue for them. Put them in the comments so I can read them. I am working on my own monologue of Lord Voldemort. It shall be interesting.
KK

No comments: