Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Book Covers

Hey,
I am waiting for a video to finish downloading of Ginny to send to my family. So I thought I write about something that I am talking about in one of my classes. So I am in a young adult lit. class and we were talking about how adults are nervous to read young adult books. They are not nervous that they won't like it but they are nervous on how other people percieve them when "caught" reading a young adult book. We also talked about book covers. In a couple of weeks, I have to pick a book out to read based on what I like on the cover. We talk about how young adults pick books based on their covers. I wonder if that is true though. Do I, Kendra, pick books out to read by their cover. Then I think that yes I do choose some of my books by recommendation. Or even books that are from certain authors. But covers to me is one important aspect. Yes, we are not suppose to judge a book by it's cover as the saying goes.
But people do choose books by it's cover. I choose a lot of my books by their cover and so far I haven't been led a stray. Sure some of the books covers match nothing in the book but they kept my attention. It's something that makes me want to read them if they have a wonderful cover. Let me tell you that the Harry Potter series was not choosen by it's cover but by a teacher who told me to read it. Though some of my favorite books have been chosen by it's cover. One of those would be the Fallen series.
The fallen series has a cover that kept my attention so much that I wanted to see what it was about. I wanted to know more about this book and who the girl on the cover was. Sure enough the book was wonderful and I wanted to read the rest of the series. So why do people choose books by their covers even when people say not to judge a book by it's cover. Is it suppose to lure us to the book enough so we will read the back flap. I don't know, I see more people looking at young adult books though based on their cover rather then anything else.
Kk

No comments: